Zora’s Daughters is growing the team! We are looking for a dynamic social media assistant who is enthusiastic about podcasting and sharing Black feminist thought.
About Zora’s Daughters
Zora’s Daughters is a society and culture podcast that uses Black feminist anthropology to think about race, politics, and popular culture. Co-created and co-hosted by Alyssa A. James and Brendane A. Tynes, we are two Black women anthropologists-in-training who follow in the legacy of Zora Neale Hurston and other Black women ethnographers. In our three segments What’s the Word?, What We’re Reading, and What in the World?!, we dig deeper into social issues in a way that is accessible and entertaining. By prioritizing the issues of Black women and other marginalized groups, we empower listeners to develop the tools and language that starts conversations and sparks change. Our vision of Black feminism centers those are the most marginalized, taking seriously and expansively the Combahee River Collective’s declaration that “If Black women were free, it would mean that everyone else would have to be free since our freedom would necessitate the destruction of all the systems of oppression.”
The Social Media Assistant will support the co-hosts in engaging and growing the podcast's audience. The Social Media Assistant will work with the co-hosts to develop social media campaigns and oversee all social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Patreon) to drive social media engagement and listenership. The ideal individual will be creative, organized, familiar with Black feminist thought, attuned to popular culture, with excellent written and verbal communication.
- Work with hosts to create and implement social media marketing plans and content calendar for each semester of the season
- Maintain content calendar to ensure content aligns with current events
- Propose new ideas and concepts for increasing followership and engagement
- Oversee all social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Patreon)
- Creates content that promotes audience interaction, conversions to podcast, and sharing
- Write, schedule, and publish all social media posts (~ 3 per week + daily IG stories such as polls and quizzes)
- Monitor and respond to comments and DMs
- Design impromptu posts to respond to timeline or breaking events
- Use data to inform social media strategy
- Review analytics to assess success of posts and recommend improvements
- Observe and analyze audience interaction to optimize content for engagement
- Publish episode content on WordPress
- Upload photos and episode descriptions and transcripts to website
Skills & Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of social media principles, practices, and strategies
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to write engaging, shareable captions
- Enthusiasm for podcasting and Black feminist thought and principles
- Ability to learn and adhere to brand standards and practices
- Proficiency in Google Suite, WhatsApp
- Familiarity with ADA Standards of online accessibility
- Graphic design/Canva experience a plus
- Working knowledge of WordPress CMS and SEO a plus
- Position begins September 1, 2022 and ends May 31, 2023. Must be available for 5-10 hours of paid onboarding and content planning in August 2022.
- Must be able to provide a W-9 or W-8 BEN
- Maximum of 25 hours per month, $15.00 per hour
Zora’s Daughters is committed to providing an environment of care and community where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and other characteristic protected by applicable law.